Here are some of the things we’ll rely on you for:
- Serving customers and community residents
- Operating cash lanes
- Receiving product and stocking shelves
- Helping with merchandising and creating eye-catching displays
- Executing planograms when required
It’s very possible that we’ll ask you to live and work in more than one community. This is another element of the adventure, and a great opportunity to experience different cultures and communities in the north.
Why You’re Right for NWC
Why You’re Right for NWC
We look for people with retail in their background, but our track record shows that great employees come from everywhere. We love helping people grow and develop. Below is our wish list:
- Minimum of a high school diploma
- Proficient computer skills, especially Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Valid provincial health card
- Valid driver’s license is preferred
- Customer service experience
- Cashier experience is preferred (but not required)
- Retail experience is preferred (but not required)
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to foster strong relationships and partnerships
- Excellent communication skills
- Reliable and accountable
- Positive and optimistic attitude, even in the face of adversity
- Willingness to be open, to learn, and take on new responsibilities
Communities & Working Conditions:
Our stores, branded Northern and NorthMart are located in rural, semi-remote and remote communities across Canada’s north. Communities vary in population from villages to major urban centres.
Tired of falling behind every month? Base salary is $17/hr and relocation is provided. You’ll get free housing and food, and travel to and from the community is on us.
Company housing is limited in small communities. It’s likely that you’ll be sharing a dwelling with one of your co-workers but have your own bedroom.
Reports to: Store Manager or Department. Manager
Keeping a store stocked involves heavy lifting; you must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
Retail hours apply; this means some days are longer than others – but with the support of Store Management there’s flexibility
We love hiring pairs – couples, siblings, BFFs. Know someone? Want to bring them with you? Let us know.
You are invited to share your unique skills and talents with the community on a volunteer basis, which has proven to be very rewarding.
We host regular Information Sessions so you can learn more!
The NorthWest Company prides itself on hiring and employment practices defined by equality and inclusion. Candidates who require accommodation, please notify Human Resources on a confidential basis. All candidates are welcome to apply, but only those legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered.
Contract length: 4-6 months