The Retail Restart webinar – the challenges, and the opportunities
On May 27, 2020 Jackman, in partnership with the David Sobey Centre for Innovation in Retailing and Services, shared their findings from extensive surveys of Canadian consumers and retailers
Right now, every aspect of the societal and commercial status quo is being called into question and re-evaluated. This webinar covered both the huge challenges and the massive opportunities stemming from this “Retail Restart”, to help equip business leaders to see beyond the crisis and come out of this even stronger than before.
Consumers said that post-pandemic they will be shopping, but seeking more experiential purchases. 54% said they needed to become more self-sufficient, and overall consumer sentiments were that they need to :
- Rethink what they do, and where they spend time, energy and money
- Rethink who and what they trust
- Reevaluate what really matters – and why
Retailers said their #1 priority was employee & consumer safety and confidence, and they recognized they would have to exceed government-mandated standards to gain that confidence. With store traffic not coming back, retailers recognized they had to re-earn their customer’s loyalty and would have to constantly adjust to do that.
With everything changing, consumers have given permission for retailers to experiment with new ways of engagement. The Retail Restart webinar provided the background needed to make those experiments successful.
To replay the May 27 session, click here (the webinar actually begins at 10:10).
- David Zietsma - SVP, Strategy and Performance, Jackman
- Stefan Read - VP, Engagements, Jackman
- Mark Innes - Executive in Residence, David Sobey Centre for Innovation in Retailing and Services, Saint Mary’s University
- Ramesh Venkat - Director, David Sobey Centre for Innovation in Retailing and Services, Saint Mary’s University